Displaying items by tag: Christchurch

The principal of the first Christchurch school mergeed under Ministry of Education reforms is finding it challenging to keep the community together.

Waitakiri School in eastern Christchurch started this week. The school has been split into two campuses, with the junior classes staying on the Windsor school site and the seniors on the former Burwood School site.

Principal Neil O'Reilly says the separation means he is keeping fit riding his bike between each campus.

The senior and junior campuses will be combined once the new school facilities on the Windsor school site are constructed.  That is expected to be built in 2016.

- Newstalk ZB

Published in National

quake---damaged-arts-centreA Christchurch Community Advocate says despite another hard year for the people he represents, its good to see progress is being made in the CBD.

WECAN spokes Brent Cairns says its been another year of frustration and heartache for many in the red zone who, 3 years on, are still fighting insurers and EQC.

He says they are hopeful 2014 will prove to be the turning point for many, but it has been heartening to see the changes to the CBD and infrastructure around the city.

Brent Cairns says its been wonderful to drive around and see the roads either repaired or in the process of being repaired and the huge progress in that respect.

WECAN has been the public voice of many in the red-zone, as 2013 proved another tough year in dealing with insurers and EQC.

Mr Cairns says for the last part of this year they've been gathering evidence of the ongoing and unnecessary delays from building companies and insurers. He says they've provided that to the Government and Human Rights Commission to investigate.

Mr Cairns says the hope is next year that the Government will step up and take action, so people affected won't have to spend a fourth winter living in a garage.

Newstalk ZB/RBG News

Published in National
Monday, 25 November 2013 16:58

Jail for former Lane Walker Rudkin director

The disgraced former boss of an iconic Canterbury business is to be imprisoned for fraud.

Kenneth James Anderson was one of two defendants sentenced in the Christchurch District Court today on charges laid by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO). The charges are in relation to Christchurch clothing manufacturer, Lane Walker Rudkin Industries (LWR), for fraud amounting to losses of 70 million dollars.

Mr Anderson had pleaded guilty in Court last month to four representative charges, including fabricating financial documents to gain loans from Westpac bank. The second defendant - who had also pleaded guilty for their part in the use of false documentation to obtain funds under a letter of credit facility - was fined $2000.

Today, Ken Anderson's crimes saw him sentenced to six years in jail.  

SFO Director, Julie Read, expressed sympathy for LWR's staff who became victims when the once-successful company collapsed due to the defendants' activities; and added, "The SFO hope this result will help deter similar crimes and maintain the integrity and credibility of New Zealand businesses."

Mr Anderson was emotional during sentencing in Court this afternoon, as the presiding judge announced her decision. Judge Jane Farish said it was clear the 66-year-old Cantabrian was now a broken man who had lost everything he had built, including his family, over what had been a long and successful business career.

She told him that although he had been trying everything possible to keep his iconic business afloat and save jobs in a tough economic climate, the length and premeditation of the crime could not be ignored.

- Newstalk ZB/RBG News

Published in National

Child quake_-_CYF_broken-homeCounselling services in Christchurch are being inundated by new clients coming for help because of the earthquakes.

Speaking at a symposium at Christchurch Hospital, on the impact of the earthquakes on the region's health sector, Canterbury District Health Board Chief Executive, David Meates, has described the increase in people seeking mental health services, as a ticking time-bomb.

David Meates told around 250 health workers, to put it into context, they are dealing with 57 schools across Christchurch, who are treating both behavioural and suicidal behaviour.

Relationships Aotearoa Clinical Manager in Christchurch, Julie Grenfell says they're averaging up to 300 new clients every month.

She says people have moved on from the quake trauma - it's now all about man-made trauma such as dealing with EQC, CERA and insurance companies.

- RBG NEWS/Newstalk ZB

Published in National
Monday, 18 November 2013 14:56

Ewen MacDonald to seek Parole again

Convicted animal killer Ewen MacDonald will have another parole hearing next Monday.

The Parole Board has released the date for the hearing, to be held at Christchurch Men's Prison.

The Feilding farmer is serving a sentence at Christchurch Men's prison for a number of attacks against the Guy family farm, including arson and vandalism.

Macdonald was found not guilty of the murder of his brother-in-law Scott Guy in 2010, but the coroner's report into Mr Guy's death found there is no suspect other than Macdonald.

They included the slaughter of 19 calves with a hammer, emptying a neighbours main milk vat of around 16 thousand litres, and burning down a 110-year old building.

He was denied parole last December after the board was not satisfied that he no longer posed an undue risk to the community.

The hearing will take place on the 25th this month.

- RBG NEWS/Newstalk ZB

 

Published in National
Thursday, 03 October 2013 12:27

Frightening Christchurch Home Invasion

Police -_lightsNight2A Christchurch man was bound with duct tape, put into a cupboard and robbed in his Bishopdale home last night.

The incident took place in Raleigh Street at around 9.15pm

Detective Sergeant Hamish Wilson says the man was confronted by three men in their 20s, one of whom was armed.

He says computer and electronic equipment worth several thousand dollars was taken from the address.

A scene examination and other enquiries are underway.

Police are appealing for any information of suspicious activity in the area.

- RBG NEWS/Newstalk ZB

Published in National

quake-genericConstruction work has stopped at one of Christchurch's central city sites for the foreseeable future.

The 10-storey Copthorne Hotel pancaked on Saturday while a worker was using a machine known as a nibbler to deconstruct it.

The building's owners had refused offers of help from CERA to deal with the earthquake-damaged structure, choosing instead to get Southern Demolition onto the job.

The Ministry of Building Innovation and Employment says it's issued a Prohibition Notice to stop all work until a structural engineers report is complete.

It's also launched an investigation into what went wrong, and a spokesman says those enquires could take anywhere up to six months.

Newstalk ZB/RBG News

Published in National
Tuesday, 24 September 2013 18:46

Shine TV headlines - 24 Sep 2013

 

TV-Nzone-Tonight-GenericAllan Lee has the latest news headlines from the RBG Newsroom, including coverage of the wild weather sweeping across New Zealand, the latest on the America‚Äôs Cup, the terrorist attack on a Nairobi Shopping Centre, a slowdown in global warming and ground breaking kiwi technology that enables people to relive how Christchurch used to look before the earthquakes.  Shine TVavailable online, on Freeview and Sky, with news bulletins at 6.30, 7.30, 8.30 and 9.30 each weekday evening.

RBG News

Published in National

Police-emergency-tapePolice investigating the homicide in Rangiora are not ruling out more arrests.

It comes as a Christchurch man appears in the Christchurch District Court today, in relation to the death of Tony Lochhead.

A 36-year old was arrested late last night, charged with murder and the aggravated wounding of Mr Lochhead's brother.

Detective Inspector David Long says inquiries are continuing to identify others who were involved in the incident.  Detective Long says they're not ruling out the possibility of more arrests.

He says police still want to hear from people who may have seen or picked up people hitch hiking between Rangiora and Christchurch on Friday night.

Meanwhile the scene examination at the White Street property where Mr Lochead died is expected to be completed late today.

Newstalk ZB/RBG News

Published in National
Thursday, 12 September 2013 10:38

Storm Leaves Thousands Without Power

Weather thunderlightningStormSupply stores have been inundated as Cantabrians continue the clean up from the gale force storm.

Thousands are still without power after the wild weather ripped through the region yesterday, causing widespread damage.

Hornby Mitre 10 Mega Manager Liam Pawson says this feels similar to the influx they had after the earthquakes.

Power remains out for 11-thousand Orion customers this morning, mainly in the rural region west of Christchurch.

Orion CEO Rob Jamieson says his crews have been working 24 hours to restore power.

He says around four-thousand customers got their power back overnight.

Around six thousand Mainpower customers in North Canterbury are still without power.

CEO Peter Hurford says they've halved the number who were off the grid yesterday and he's confident of making another big dent in that number.

Today they are concentrating on the Swannanoa, Clarkville, Mandeville, Waipara, Oxford and Cheviot areas.

And further south, Alpine Energy have just under 1000 customers that need re-connection.

CEO Andrew Tombs says by the end of today he's hoping that number will be down to three hundred.

There's a bit of cleaning up to do in the lower North Island in Wellington and Wairarapa this morning.

The weather downed trees, and caused flooding in Johnsonville, Ngaio and at the Twin Bridges on the Featherston side of the Rimutaka Hill.

All domestic flights were cancelled last night and at least two flights to Dunedin and Christchurch are cancelled this morning.

The likelihood of State Highway 6 on the South Island's West Coast re-opening today is slim as engineers work to stabilise a massive slip.

The access route from Haast to Makaroa was closed yesterday after wild weather triggered numerous slips along the road, the biggest of which left a 30 metre trail of debris on the road.

Heavy rain could result in flash flooding and slips in parts of Auckland and Northland today.

It's expected to hit this afternoon and may produce thunderstorms.

There's a moderate risk of localised downpours of 25 to 35 millimetres an hour.

- RBG NEWS/Newstalk ZB

Published in National
Start
Prev
1
Page 1 of 18